Tuesday, January 1, 2013

28mm M4A3 Sherman from Warlord Games


Happy New Year!

I got to celebrate my 35th Birthday along with the New Years this past weekend. But I spent my spare time working on this bad boy for Bolt Action.  I have the beginnings to a respectable German Fallschirmjager Army but have only just started on them. I am currently awaiting on my Tiger I and an additional squad. I have stared work on the command and some of the specialty units as of today. So look for some updates on them soon. Not to mention some Confederate Dismounted Cavalry from the ACW. 

 

I airbrushed my base coat of US Olive Drab Surface Primer from Vallejo over the whole model. Next I mixed a highlight for modulation with 10:4 parts Olive Drab to Whites. Followed by 10:3 Olive Drab to Black for the shades.  I then tried my hand at 2 layers of the Armor Filter from MiG for Dark Green Vehicles.  Then I applied my decals using MicroSet and MicroSol. 


On to the washes! I then gave the crevices and fiddly bits a wash of MiG Dark Wash, trying to keep it all around the edges and in the cracks.  After letting that dry a bit I then used a flat brush with Mineral Spirits to remove the excess and begin the streaking. I found a large bottle at my local craft store for $7.  After letting that dry I gave the tank a spray of DullCote. 

Next was chipping. A piece of sponge with a bit of Citadel Doombull Brown was then carefully dabbed on where I thought the tank would have the most chipping.  A brief and minor touch up with a small brush finished this portion. In hindsight I forgot to take a lighter color to the chipped edges to create a layered feel but I think it still turned out alright. Next I used the MiG Rust wash and streaked the rust from these chipped areas as if the rain had created the streaks. A dampened brush in more Mineral Spirits gently dragged over this in a vertical motion, top to bottom, helped make it more subtle and realistic. Another layer of varnish to protect it was then applied.


Finally a gentle few strokes of another MiG product, Rain Marks, was applied to give the tank some more contrast.  The tracks were painted a Burnt Sienna color from some random craft paint I have just for treads. A wash of the treads and wheels in the dark wash to give some good shading brought me to the home stretch of the lower section. Followed by a nice dusting of MiG's European Dust pigments. I did mix a bit with Acrylic Resin and Plaster to create the dried and caked mud.  And there you have it!

Now I really want to paint up some US boys to go with it. Which route do I take? The plastic US Rifles? Or the metal US Airborne. Regular infantry vs Vet's. If I go Rifles I will most surely have to add a few Half Tracks for the boys.  But the Airborne could give me a good compliment to my Fallschirmjager. Tough decision.  What's your thoughts?


The above photo I used for some references on my Sherman. 

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful ... If my vehicles look half as good as yours I will be very happy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracking job matey, really nice weathering and modulation.

    I've just started on 28mm ww2 myself, and when i get to tanks i'm hoping i pull them off this well.

    as to a unit, for a tank like that, i'd have to give a vote for rangers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work there dude! I say for for plastic US Rifle company

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work on the Sherman looks realistic, like what you have done to the tracks especially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work on the Sherman looks realistic, like what you have done to the tracks especially.

    ReplyDelete